Bisi Uppinkai / Instant Pickle




One thing to which most of us would agree is that men do not cook often, but, whenever they do they stun us with their final product and the by product (messy kitchen :P). Don't you think so ladies?. Hold that thought and look at the dish in the above pic, isn't it mouth watering?.

This episode of my blog is special because my husband was brave enough to try making this dish and it was BENKI (kannada slang used to describe something which is fantastically superb) when I tasted it. The very next moment I took my gear off my bag and captured this beauty.

Pickling process to me till I ate this uppinkai was a meticulous thing which needed lot of patience and expertise. I remember, back in India my grannies getting ready to prepare pickles at the onset of mango season. These pickles would be stored in those large ceramic pickle jars in which they would stay fresh close to a year. But, unlike the traditional indian pickles, this bisi uppinkai (bisi means hot, uppu means salt and kai means raw) is instant, easy to prepare and can stay fresh up to a month or more. It altogether has a different charm and goes very well with rice, parathas, upma and other indian dishes.

This is mango version of bisi uppinkai. You can try making it with lemon, carrots, beans and many other fruits and vegetables. I highly recommend this dish. Try making it and do post your reviews on your version of bisi bisi uppinkai.

No comments:

Post a Comment